2021 APSA Conference: Politics in the Age of Uncertainty
The APSA 2021 Annual Conference will be hosted by the Discipline of Politics & International Relations in the School of Social Sciences, Macquarie University. The conference theme is ‘Politics in the Age of Uncertainty’. Due to on-going travel restrictions regarding COVID-19, the conference will be held in virtual format via zoom.
Theme: ‘Politics in the Age of Uncertainty’ recognises the upheavals of contemporary politics in light of, but not limited to, COVID-19, and invites an explicit focus on the causes, manifestations and consequences of the new political, technological and ideological constellations of our time.
When: Monday 20 September – Wednesday 22 September 2021 (Postgraduate Workshop on Sunday 19th September 2021).
Where: Virtual conference via Zoom
Please visit the conference website for further information, including: Speakers, APSA PhD Workshop Day, and APSA Carer Support Scheme.
Key dates and deadlines:
- Abstract submissions open: 1 December 2020
- Abstract submissions close: 3 May 2021, 11:59pm AEST
- Authors notified of results: 4 June 2021
- Early bird registration deadline: 10 July 2021
- Registration portal closes: extended to 4 August 2021
Conference Program: Politics in the age of uncertainty APSA 2021 Annual conference Program
- APSA President’s Address by Professor Helen Sullivan, Dean of the ANU College of Asia and the Pacific at the Australian National University.
- Keynote Lecture by Professor John Keane, Professor of Politics at the University of Sydney and WZB (Berlin).
- APSA Past President’s Address by Professor Rodney Smith, Professor of Australian Politics at the University of Sydney.
Registration Fees (all prices in AUD and inclusive of GST)
In recognition of the increased uncertainties regarding jobs in the higher education sector, the organising committee has revised the fees to encourage participation from ‘unwaged’ researchers, as well as Early Career Researchers and postgraduate students.
- Members – Early Bird Registration $110
- Members – Standard Registration $141
- Non-Members- Early Bird Registration $141
- Non-Members- Standard Registration $172
- ECRs*, Unwaged**, Student Member Early Registration $31
- ECRs, Unwaged, Student Non Member Early Registration $47
- ECRs, Unwaged, Student Member Standard Registration $62
- ECRs, Unwaged, Student Non Member Standard Registration $79
*Early Career Researchers whose PhDs were conferred on or after 3 May 2016, or have a PhD conferral date with a period of career interruptions that would be commensurate with a PhD conferral date on or after 3 May 2016 (as per the ARC’s definition: https://www.arc.gov.au/policies-strategies/policy/eligibility-and-career-interruptions-statement)
**Researchers on non-permanent, fixed term or casual contracts.
The organisers of APSA2020 are from the Discipline of Politics and International Relations in the Macquarie School of Social Sciences, which includes::
- Dr Sung-Young Kim (Chair)
- Dr Jumana Bayeh (Co-Chair)
- Dr Francesco Stolfi (Co-Chair)
- Dr Ian Tregenza (Co-Chair)
- Ms Kelli-Lee Drake (Departmental Administrator)